Linux is an open-source Unix-like operating system based on the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on September 17, 1991, by Linus Torvalds. Linux is typically packaged as a Linux distribution.
Distributions include the Linux kernel and supporting system software and libraries, many of which are provided by the GNU Project. Many Linux distributions use the word “Linux” in their name, but the Free Software Foundation uses the name “GNU/Linux” to emphasize the importance of GNU software.
The Popular Linux distributions are further redistributed separated in different category listed below.
|S. No||Debian |
|CentOS / Fedora|
|APT, DPKG||packman||yum, dnf, epel, rpm||pkg|
|1||Debian Linux||Arch Linux||Alma Linux||pfsense|
|2||BOSS OS||Garuda Linux||Rock Linux||OPNSense|
|3||Ubuntu & Flavors|
–> Ubuntu Budgie
–> Ubuntu Kylin
–> Ubuntu MATE
–> Ubuntu Studio
|Endeavour OS||RHEL||TrueNAS Core|
|5||True NAS Scale||Archman Linux||Fedora|
|6||Tails OS||Bluestar Linux||ClearOS|
|7||PureOS||Anarchy Linux||Qubes OS|
Alpine Linux is an independent, non-commercial, general purpose Linux distribution designed for power users who appreciate security, simplicity and resource efficiency.
- Small:- Alpine Linux is built around musl libc and busybox. This makes it small and very resource efficient. A container requires no more than 8 MB and a minimal installation to disk requires around 130 MB of storage. Not only do you get a fully-fledged Linux environment but a large selection of packages from the repository.Binary packages are thinned out and split, giving you even more control over what you install, which in turn keeps your environment as small and efficient as possible.
- Simple:- Alpine Linux is a very simple distribution that will try to stay out of your way. It uses its own package manager called apk, the OpenRC init system, script driven set-ups and that’s it! This provides you with a simple, crystal-clear Linux environment without all the noise. You can then add on top of that just the packages you need for your project, so whether it’s building a home PVR, or an iSCSI storage controller, a wafer-thin mail server container, or a rock-solid embedded switch, nothing else will get in the way.
- Secure:- Alpine Linux was designed with security in mind. All user-land binaries are compiled as Position Independent Executable (PIE) with stack smashing protection. These proactive security features prevent exploitation of entire classes of zero-day and other vulnerabilities.
The OpenWrt Project is a Linux operating system targeting embedded devices. Instead of trying to create a single, static firmware, OpenWrt provides a fully writable filesystem with package management. This frees you from the application selection and configuration provided by the vendor and allows you to customize the device through the use of packages to suit any application. For developers, OpenWrt is the framework to build an application without having to build a complete firmware around it; for users this means the ability for full customization, to use the device in ways never envisioned.
Linux Desktop Environments
A desktop environment is the bundle of components that provide you common graphical user interface (GUI) elements such as icons, toolbars, wallpapers, and desktop widgets.
|11||Ambient, CDE, Cutefish, Deepin DE, EDE, Elokab, Enlightenment, GNOME Shell, GNUstep, Innova, KDE Plasma 5, Liri Shell, Lumina, MaXX, Mezzo, Moksha, Pantheon, ROX Desktop, Sugar, Trinity, UKUI (desktop environment)|
- GNU Project ,
- GNU software ,
- Linux Desktop Environments ,
- Popular Linux distributions